Phoenix Bus Accident Lawyers
Legal Representation After a Bus Accident
Buses are generally considered to be one of the safest forms of transportation, and public transportation is on the rise due to rising costs and the green trend. Unfortunately, our perceptions of buses as safe don't keep bus accidents from happening.and it can't prevent the sometimes catastrophic injuries that can accompany these accidents. Here's what you need to know about bus accidents.
Bus use is on the rise. This is due in part to the high cost of gas, but also can be attributed to a growing eco-friendly movement. Sometimes, buses are more convenient than spending hours driving in traffic, especially with park-and-ride options for suburban residents. In addition, nearly 25 million children rely on school buses to get them to and from school. And organizations increasingly rely on chartered buses for transportation to and from group events.
Causes of Bus Accidents
The causes of bus accidents can vary widely from incident to incident and can depend on factors like inclement weather, unsafe roads, defective or malfunctioning parts, and driver error. Bus companies are considered common carriers and have a duty to their passengers to avoid negligence and to do what is reasonable to keep their passengers safe. When passengers are not protected, they can legally file a lawsuit against the bus company and attempt to seek monetary compensation for costs associated with the injury and any applicable lost wages, need for rehabilitation or therapy, and pain and suffering.
Why can bus crashes be so devastating? Simple: most buses do not provide seatbelts. In fact, buses are exempted from the requirement to provide seatbelts that exist with almost all other motor vehicles under state law. The lack of seat belts can cause increased danger to passengers, especially school children, over 10,000 of whom are injured in school buses each year. Bus accidents might only take a moment to occur, but their effects are often felt for a lifetime by victims who must deal with the injuries, trauma, and disability that can result.
Also, many buses are owned or operated by cities or school districts, so the time to bring a claim is often limited to 180 days from the date of the incident. Also, there are documents that often need to be assembled in less than 180 days to meet that timeframe. As a result, it is imperative and extremely time sensitive - to consult with a Phoenix injury attorney as soon as possible following any bus accident.
What to Do After a Bus Accident
The aftermath of a traffic accident is often a scary time for all involved. When the accident involves a bus, dealing with the results of a collision can be even worse. General bus design leaves passengers vulnerable to certain serious injuries. The first and most important response to a bus accident is to get emergency workers on the scene to stabilize victims and stop traffic. For those who have sustained injuries from a bus accident, further information, knowing your rights as a victim can help you cope with the effects of this terrible event.
As common carriers, bus companies hold a high legal standard for protecting the health and safety of passengers. However, without immediate and proper attention to the facts of a case, it can be harder to settle later. Use these simple tips immediately after a bus accident in Arizona:
- Submit to an evaluation by emergency personnel on the scene even if you do not think you’ve sustained injury. Shock or adrenaline can mask unobvious injuries.
- Follow the advice of the emergency personnel on the scene. Allow transportation to a medical facility for a full examination or treatment of your injuries.
- As soon as you are able, document as much of the accident event as possible and request copies of law enforcement reports.
- Do not give a recorded statement to insurance companies without first consulting legal counsel. The reason for this is that you don't want anyone to construe what you say against you or take it out of context.
- Do not give television or newspaper interviews or discuss the accident with anyone outside of your immediate family circle for the reason above.
- Call Arizona bus accident lawyers as soon as possible. Bus accident cases can be complex and hard to litigate when it’s time to prove negligence on the part of the responsible parties. The Phoenix bus accident attorneys at Breyer Law Offices, P.C. have the experience and resources to conduct a detailed investigation to prosecute your personal injury claim. If you or a member of your family suffered an injury in a bus accident, call this Arizona bus accident law firm at (602) 267-1280 to schedule a free consultation to discuss your case.
Contact a Phoenix Bus Accident Lawyer at The Husband and Wife Law Team
At Breyer Law Office, we specialize in personal injury law suits, including those associated with bus accidents. We have the experience, expertise, and resources it takes to fight and win on your behalf - and we'd like to offer a free, confidential case consultation today. Just contact our Phoenix accident lawyers at (602) 267-1280 for more information. Your case consultation carries no obligation and is 100 percent free of charge. If you have not yet decided whether a lawsuit is right for you, that is OK, too. Not every injury needs to result in a lawsuit. We are happy to provide you with the information and answers you need to make the best decision for you.