Car Insurance Buying Guide: How to Get the Coverage You Need
Top 12 Questions to Ask Your Car Insurance Agent
- How much liability coverage do I have? Tip: Arizona requires a minimum of $15,000 per person / $30,000 per accident, and $10,000 property damage liability coverage. While this is the minimum, you might be able to increase this coverage for a small amount of money. Ask your agent what the cost would be to increase it.
- Do I have comprehensive coverage? This coverage will pay out if your car is damaged because of fire, theft, hail, or from hitting an animal in the road.
- Do I have collision coverage? This is coverage that will pay if you cause the accident. It’s a good idea to have it if you are making payments to a lender and if your car is expensive to replace or repair.
- Do I have UM/UIM coverage in case someone who is underinsured or uninsured hits me? You should definitely have this, and you should make the limits as high as possible within your budget.
- Do I have MedPay coverage? Remember that MedPay kicks in to cover your medical expenses after your liability coverage is exhausted. Again, make the limits as high as possible.
- Do I have an umbrella policy? It’s a good idea to have an umbrella policy. They are usually inexpensive and will kick in after your regular policy has paid up to the limit. This is a good policy to have for catastrophic accidents.
- Do I have an extra coverage, like full glass or rental reimbursement? While this coverage is nice to have if you want to be covered when your windshield cracks or if you need to rent a car while yours is being repaired after an accident, some people save money by opting out of this.
- Is everyone in my family covered under my policy? How about friends who borrow my car with my permission? Make sure your children and other family members who live in your household are fully covered in the event of an accident.
- How can I lower my insurance premium? You should be able to lower your premium if you have a clean driving record, if other cars in your household are insured with the same company, if you bundle your home insurance as well, if you pay on time and sign up for automatic payments, etc. Make sure to ask!
- How do you notify me when my premium is due? A good insurance company will give you advance notice and notify you several times that your premium payment is due. You don’t want your insurance to lapse because you missed a payment. If you can sign up for automatic payments, do it.
- Who do I call if I am involved in an accident? You want to know what number to call if you are in an accident, and carry this information with you. You should also have the number for the Phoenix auto insurance lawyers at Breyer Law Offices, P.C., stored in the same place if you become the victim of a car accident.
- What are some actions I should take if I am involved in an accident? Typically, your agent will remind you to call the police and seek medical assistance. They might also instruct you to take a few photos of the damages and the location of the accident, if you are physically able.
Get Help Now
During a free consultation, we will look at the important aspects of your case, answer your questions, and explain your legal rights and options clearly. All submissions are confidentially reviewed by Mark Breyer.
Confidentially reviewed by Attorney Mark Breyer