How Flagstaff Cyclists Can Prevent Injury
Caring for yourself when you’re a Flagstaff cyclists may not seem like a high priority. After all, just riding your bicycle around the city may seem like the best way to keep yourself healthy and to take good care of yourself. And while riding as a form of exercise and movement can certainly contribute to overall health and wellbeing, there are things that you must do in order to protect yourself from injury and ensure that your new physical activity remains a healthy option.
- Stretch regularly, both before and after you cycle. Stretching before and after you cycle can help you avoid sustaining injuries when you’re out for a ride. Even a short ride from your home can take a toll on your muscles and ligaments, and that’s why it is important to make sure that you stretch to make them limber.
- Take care of your bicycle. You might think that taking care of your bicycle doesn’t have much to do with taking care of yourself, but the two correlate very closely. When you ensure that your tires have the right pressure in them, you avoid making yourself overwork. When you take care to keep your brakes in working order, you make it easier to avoid accidents and the serious injuries that come with them.
- Get plenty of sleep when you’re riding. Good sleep helps you have the energy you need to ride your bike everywhere you want to go. A good night’s rest also helps you keep focused, lowering your risk of an accident.
- Keep yourself well-hydrated. Hydration is critical to staying well on and off your bicycle. Cyclists must drink plenty of water to keep up their energy and to avoid getting sick from overheating, exhaustion, and other problems.
- Eat a balance of carbs and proteins. Sometimes, when you ride your bicycle, you may forget to eat more to balance out the exercise. And that may mean less energy, less focus, less strength, and less passion.
Take care of yourself inside and out to make every ride the best ride of your life.