Burn Awareness and Preventing Arizona Child Injury
There are so many things children can burn themselves on, and as Arizona child injury attorneys, we want to make sure parents and caregivers understand and attempt to decrease the risks around the house. Burns can range from mild to severe, while most severe burns will cause lifelong scarring and some will cause disfigurement. Severe burns can also lead to death.
While not every accident is preventable, here are some ways to make your household safer:
- Turn your water heater down. If your hot water will burn your hand when it is turned to full heat, turn your heater down so it can’t happen to your child. This will also help conserve energy.
- Make sure stove tops are out of reach of children. If your children help you cook, place their stool on a section of the counter as far from the stove and other hot appliances as possible.
- Make sure pots and pans that are on the stove do not have their handles sticking out where children might reach them.
- Some ovens have locking doors; consider installing this type of oven in your home.
- Never carry scalding water near your children in case you spill or drip some.
- Don’t cook with an infant in your arms as he or she might grab at items that are hot.
- Remove all chemicals from cabinets where children can reach them. Chemical burns are as serious or more serious than heat burns. Place these items out of reach in a locked cabinet.
- Never leave matches or lighters where children can reach them.
- Do not allow your children to use the microwave without your supervision. Sometimes items are overheated, and children pull them out and burn themselves.
- Never put scalding hot food in front of your child. Cool it down first.
- Talk to your children about fire and burn safety.
Finally, make sure all adults and caregivers who come in contact with your child know about these rules. Always take burn safety very seriously. If your child experiences an Arizona child injury, contact the Husband and Wife Law Team at the Breyer Law Offices as soon as possible.