Protect Your Child from Fatal Arizona Gun Shot Accidents
As parents, we do our best to protect our children from all types of hazards, including gun shot accidents. Although these accidents are uncommon, they still happen throughout the state each year, devastating many families. According to the Arizona Department of Health Services (AZDHS), at least one child death caused by the accidental discharge of firearms occurs annually. Reports indicate that between 1999 and 2009 alone, 15 children between the ages of one and 14 were killed in a gun accident. The accidental discharge of firearms can happen in a variety of circumstances, though it most often occurs when a firearm is being cleaned or when children are playing with or examining guns that either do not have a safety or the safety is not engaged.
What Parents Can Do to Prevent a Fatal Arizona Child Gun Shot Accident
Although some accidents are unavoidable, there are plenty of steps parents can take to help prevent fatal Arizona gun shot accidents at home.
- Keep your guns locked away and out of reach of your children. Hide the key to your gun safe where your children cannot find it.
- Never keep a loaded gun in a house with small children or teenagers. Always keep any ammo stored somewhere separate from the gun. And don’t forget to check the chamber.
- Always engage the safety on your guns. You do not ever want the gun to go off accidentally.
- Follow all of the manufacturer requirements for cleaning your firearm safely. Many gun shot accidents that take place at home occur during cleaning.
- Talk to the parents of your child’s friends. Make certain they follow firearm safety precautions in their home before allowing your child to play there.
Next Steps for Parents After a Fatal Arizona Child Gun Shot Accident
If the unthinkable happens, and your child is killed in a fatal Arizona child gun shot accident, you should immediately contact an attorney. The Phoenix wrongful death attorneys at the Breyer Law Offices, P.C. do whatever they can to help families overcome the grief, heartache, and loss that come with a fatal accident. We negotiate with the negligent party to secure fair compensation, covering your family’s funeral and burial costs, any medical costs incurred during an attempt to save your child’s life, and other costs directly related to the accident and death of your child. For help understanding your case and moving on with your life, contact the Husband and Wife Law Team.