Pedestrian and Motorcyclist Collide in West Phoenix, Resulting in Fatality
We rarely hear about motorcycle and pedestrian accidents, but one occurred Sunday, April 29th early in the morning at 39th Avenue and Indian School Road in Phoenix. The pedestrian was in the street when he was struck by the motorcycle. The pedestrian was killed and the motorcyclist was taken to the hospital with life-threatening injuries.
There are a number of factors that could have played a part in this crash, including darkness. The accident occurred at 1 a.m. in the morning, and the motorcyclist may not have seen the pedestrian. Police also indicated the pedestrian may have been standing in the road instead of crossing and leaving the roadway.
Because of the smaller size of a motorcycle (compared to a car), the motorcycle was greatly impacted by the force of the crash and thrown off-balance, causing the rider to fall off and sustain serious injuries. It is unclear whether the motorcyclist was wearing protective gear, including a helmet.
Police are still investigating this accident and no charges have been filed. It is unclear if anyone is at fault.
Stay Alert at Night
There are a few things for all pedestrians, and every driver and motorcyclist, to remember, including:
- Stay alert. Never cross a road outside the crosswalk and remember to look both ways.
- Cross only in well-lit areas.
- Never stop or stand in the street.
- Drivers and motorcyclists should operate their vehicles only when they are alert and focused on the road.
- Make sure your headlights are in good working order
- Watch for obstacles, animals, or people in the road.
- Never speed, because this can greatly reduce your ability to stop if something is in your path.
- Wear a helmet and protective gear when riding a motorcycle and a seatbelt when in a car.
If you are hurt in a Phoenix motorcycle accident, it’s important to get legal advice right after you get medical assistance. Call The Husband and Wife Law Team and we’ll even come to you if you can’t get to us. We work hard to figure out the facts of your case and determine if you have a claim. The money you can receive in a settlement can help pay medical bills, lost wages, funeral expenses for loved ones, and repair bills for your vehicle. The consultation with us is free, so don’t hesitate to reach out.