Need to Hit Phoenix International? Brush Up on Your Rideshare Knowledge
No matter what time you land at Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport (PHX), you can slide your phone off airplane mode and order an Uber or Lyft 24/7! Since PHX has a dedicated holding area for rideshare drivers, it should be a quick, painless way to head to your final destination, be it your winter home or the house of a friend or family member.
If you’re flying into or out of Phoenix this summer, be sure to brush up on your rideshare rules.
Transportation network companies like Uber and Lyft do brisk business at PHX, with the blessing of the airport itself. So, where do you get dropped off? At the departure terminal for your flight, same as if you were dropping someone off yourself.
Where do you get picked up? That’s a little more complicated, but we broke it down for you with information from PHX, Uber, and Lyft combined:
So, you’ve arrived at Phoenix International! Depending on your airline, you’ll pop outside at one of three terminals. Here’s where your rideshare driver will be sent to meet you, in the order of “first come, first served”:
- Terminal 2 (Advanced Air, Alaska, Boutique Air, Contour Airlines, Spirit Airlines, United): East, outside of door #8 at the end of the terminal.
- Terminal 3 (Delta, Frontier, Hawaiian, JetBlue, Sun Country): South curb, west end outside door #4; or outside door #2
- Terminal 4 (Air Canada, American, British Airways, Condor Airlines, Southwest, Volaris, WestJet): Level 1 on the North curb – West end outside door #1 near the beginning of the terminal; on the South curb – far East end outside door #8 near the beginning of the terminal.
These are a few tips for getting underway:
- Have all your luggage ready.
- Be alert and quickly pack your belongings.
- Make sure you see the Uber or Lyft decal before entering the vehicle.
- Confirm that you have the right driver.
- Relax! You’re almost there.
PHX’s Regulations for Your Driver
Uber and Lyft drivers must abide by local airport rules. If they don’t, they may be ticketed and banned from working the airport in the future, and their transportation network company won’t pay for any of those fines.
- Upon entering the airport, the driver’s Uber or Lyft app must be open at all times.
- Rideshare companies have a special deal with Phoenix Sky Harbor International allowing the first vehicle in to be the first vehicle out (the FIFO system) in these designated areas:
- Ground Transportation Staging Lot on 2323 E Sky Harbor Circle North
- GPS Staging Lot by the Sky Train Station
- Transportation Hold Lot on Washington and 44th St
- Facilities accessible with key code 7064
- The rideshare sticker must be on the front passenger windshield, facing outward.
- Pickups are only allowed on the arrivals level.
- Cancelling rides, on the drivers’ part, is strongly discouraged.
- Drivers must follow the instructions of airport personnel.
- Drivers must follow the airport’s rules: do not stop or pull over in crosswalks, and do not enter taxi/shuttle zones unless explicitly told to.
- Drivers must have their waybills readily available for inspection.
An Uber driver who shows a disregard for the rules at the airport, whether stopping in a “no-loading” zone or not being ready to jump out and assist you with your bags, may cause you nothing but a headache… however, a casual attitude toward the rules can also lead to trouble on the road. We at The Husband and Wife Law Team have seen many rideshare accidents, due to drivers’ inattention, aggression, and even confusion, as they try to find a place they aren’t familiar with.
Since they’re the ones getting paid to take you home, you have a right to expect professional treatment—and after a collision, Uber and Lyft have commercial insurance up to $1 million to cover your injuries and other losses. But they won’t just hand it over. You need a strong advocate who is familiar with these claims to get the full amount you’re owed.
Well, Mark and Alexis Breyer have handled thousands of car accident claims in Arizona. You might say we’re the top Phoenix car accident attorneys, with our multi-millions in successful results and hundreds of satisfied clients. Call (602) 267-1280 to speak with us yourself and decide. Breyer Law Offices, P.C., works on a no-fee guarantee, which means we take no payment from you unless we win your claim. There’s no risk, so contact us today!