What Is Lyft?
Lyft is a ridesharing transportation company that helps connect people wanting to go somewhere with a driver who owns a car. Lyft drivers choose their own hours and keep all their tips.
Passengers use Lyft because it is a convenient and cost-effective way to get around town without having to have their own car. It’s like calling a cab, but may be available in more areas and offer faster service, in some instances.
Common Lyft Spots Around Phoenix
Many Lyft passengers request pickup or drop off around the Arizona State University area and Phoenix Sky Harbor International Airport. Others use Lyft to and from their homes to local shopping areas, like Biltmore Fashion Park. You can also find discounts for Lyft rides to and from local events, such as the Four Peaks’ Oktoberfest and all Phoenix Sun Games at the Talking Stick Resort Arena (pickup and drop off at 3rd Street between Washington and Jefferson).
Is a Lyft Accident Different from a Regular Car Accident?
Getting into a Lyft car accident can be just as scary and just as life-threatening as any other car accident. Whether you are a passenger in the Lyft car or you are hit by a Lyft driver, the accident can catch you by surprise and leave you questioning what to do next.
When we choose to ride in a vehicle where someone else is at the wheel, we often don’t think about what we would do in the event of an accident. But an accident involving a Lyft car shouldn’t be handled any differently than any other type of accident:
- Call the police and get immediate medical attention. It’s important to have a police report of the accident as well as medical reports documenting your injuries.
- Get medical help even if you think your injuries are minor. Sometimes, head, back, and neck injuries can get progressively worse over time if left untreated.
- Collect the insurance information of the Lyft driver and the other drivers involved to give to your insurance company. Police will also collect this information, so if you can’t get it, don’t worry. It will be in your police reports.
Use your cell phone to take photos of everything if you are physically able to do so. This will help preserve the facts relating to the case and can be crucial to your settlement. The Husband and Wife Law Team at Breyer Law Offices, P.C., can use these photos to negotiate your settlement, which can help cover medical bills, lost wages, and other damages.
How to Choose a Lyft Driver
Passengers can rate Lyft drivers based on levels of cleanliness, safety, friendliness, and navigation. You can see your Lyft driver’s rating when you request a pickup. You’ll also see whether they have received flags for unsafe driving or other faults.
However, even the highest rated Lyft drivers can still get into accidents. That’s why it’s important to follow a few safety tips when you are passenger:
- Always wear your seat belt.
- Don’t distract your driver with too much conversation or loud talking.
- Determine what route you want your driver to take before the driver starts driving, instead of suddenly asking him or her to turn different ways as the car is moving.
- Enter and exit the car in designated pickup spots or parking lots, not on the side of busy roads