Arizona Trucking Accidents: More Trucks on the Road
As Arizona trucking accident attorneys, we were interested to learn that, according to MSN Money, there was a resurgence of the amount of trucks on the road and the amount of weight they were carrying in the last months of 2012 and in January of 2013. According to the reports, the For-Hire Truck Tonnage Index rose 2.9 percent in January, which sets a new record and was the best tonnage report in five years.
More trucks on the road and more deliveries, however, could mean a greater chance of getting involved in an Arizona trucking accident. Here are some tips for car drivers to help them avoid such a crash:
- Not all crashes are avoidable, but by practicing safe driving, you may be able to reduce your chances. Make sure to obey all traffic laws.
- Do not cut in front of trucks or follow too closely behind them, where the driver can’t see you.
- Avoid trucks that are turning. If you come in too close beside a truck, the driver may not see you and may turn into you.
- Avoid trucks that are backing. It is very hard to see smaller cars behind large trucks.
- Always signal your intentions to turn or stop, and give the truck driver plenty of time to adapt.
- Always double check your mirrors and glance to the side before making a lane change. Never cut off a large truck that can’t stop or slow as quickly as you can.
Semi-trucks with and without trailers were involved in 2,587 Arizona trucking crashes in 2011, according to a report by the Arizona Department of Transportation. These trucking accidents caused 55 fatal crashes and 640 injury crashes.
Get Help from an Experienced Arizona Trucking Accident Attorney
If you are hurt in an Arizona trucking accident, contact an experienced attorney today. The at-fault party likely has an insurance company representing them. The Husband and Wife Law Team at the Breyer Law Offices work to obtain settlements for victims hurt in crashes such as these. Call us for a free consultation so we can discuss your case and determine if it is the right fit for our firm.