What Should You Do When Your Dog Has Been Attacked by Another Dog?
Call a Phoenix Dog Bite Attorney at (602) 267-1280 Today
For most of us, our dogs are family members. We watch them grow, train them, feed them, and take care of them. The bond formed with our dogs is built on time and love. And we expect dog owners to treat their pets well and obey the state's leash laws to keep their dog and others safe. But, dogs still get into fights and can hurt each other. In Arizona, if a dog attacks another dog it's now a Class 1 misdemeanor, punished by up to six months in jail and a $2,500 fine for the owner.
When someone's dog injures or kills your dog in an attack, let Breyer Law Offices, P.C. guide you through the process of filing a claim against the other dog owner. Our firm can answer any questions you have about the legal options available to you under the law. If you're injured in a dog bite attack, you have legal rights as well against the dog owner.
What to Do If Your Dog Gets Attacked and You Are Injured
You can never be fully prepared for a dog attack, but knowing what to do if it happens can help. Here is how you should handle the situation if your dog gets attacked:
- Be careful during the fight - Pulling your dog away by their leash or grabbing their hind legs can help, but reaching into a fight can be dangerous for you and your dog. Watch where you put your hands and be aware of what the other owner is doing during the attack.
- Get information from witnesses - If your dog is injured, it's important to get information from the other owner or whoever was handling the dog when the bite happened. Get the contact information from the other dog owner and anyone who witnessed the attack.
- Contact animal control - Contact animal control or the police department to file reports. If the dog that bit yours has a history of biting, animal control will be interested in your case.
- Get a lawyer - Dog bite laws aren't just different in each state, but they're different in each city. Where your dog is attacked will play a part in how animal control and police handle your situation. An experienced dog bite lawyer will know the laws in your area. When you are injured by a dog bite, it's important to speak to a lawyer. Many times, if the injury happened during a dog fight, the insurance company for the other dog owner may try to blame you and your dog for prolonging the fight.
- Remember that your case is about you - If your case goes to court, you're the one there and not the dog. Your case is about your dog being attacked affected YOU.
Whose At Fault When Your Dogs Has Been Attacked By Another Dog?
Dog-on-dog aggression is sometimes difficult to sort out, especially when a dog attack happens suddenly. One of the challenges of your case will be proving that the other dog started the attack. Determining which dog first lunged at the other will often come down to one dog owner's word against the other. Hiring a skilled Phoenix dog bite attorney will help.
Your Rights as a Dog Owner in Phoenix
If your dog has been injured or killed by another dog, there are a few things you should keep in mind:
- If the attacking dog is already listed as a "dangerous dog," the owner may be responsible for harboring an aggressive or violent animal and held liable for any damages or veterinary bills.
- If the attacking dog is listed as "dangerous" and your dog has to be put down, the owner may be held responsible for the original amount you paid for your dog.
- If other owner violated your state's leash laws, he or she may be held responsible for any veterinary costs.
Your dog suffered. You suffered. You have the right to get financial compensation for vet bills and other damages related to your dog's attack. You also have the right when you are injured in a dog attack to have your medical bills paid as well as damages for pain and suffering.
A Caring and Professional Team
Our Phoenix dog injury lawyers have handled many cases where a client's dog has been attacked or seriously injured by another dog. We also have helped many people who have been attacked by another dog. The Husband and Wife Law Team at Breyer Law Offices, P.C. understands how a pet can be a viable member of the family unit and how this kind of loss can affect clients.
Contact us today to talk about your case. Your consultation is absolutely free, and there's no obligation to use our services. You won't pay us anything until we win your case. If we don't get you money for your dog's injuries, then our services are free. That's our guarantee.