Scottsdale Product Liability Lawyers
Product liability is the legal liability incurred by a manufacturer or trader for selling a faulty product. It refers to the liability of any party along the chain of manufacture for damage caused by a particular product. If you have been injured by a defective consumer item, you may have a product liability claim for compensation. Consult with an experienced Scottsdale product liability lawyer at The Husband & Wife Law Team at (480) 944-9755 to find out about your options under the law.
For product liability purposes, a product can be defective in any of three different ways:
- Design defects: These are flaws present in the product before it is manufactured. A design flaw can make a product inherently unsafe. An example is hip implants with design defects that were recalled after causing injury to patients.
- Manufacturing defects: Flaws that occur in the process of producing or assembling a product are manufacturing defects. Examples include incorrect bolts or fasteners, improperly installed electrical circuits, and incorrectly attached parts.
- Marketing defects: These product defects include insufficient instructions, improper labeling, and inadequate safety warnings. An example of a marketing defect is a medical device that is marketed without proper instructions for its use.
All types of defective consumer products, from children’s toys to prescription medications, can cause injury to consumers. Faulty products that have been known to injure users include:
- Defective automobile parts that lead to deadly traffic crashes
- Faulty medical devices that injure patients
- Unsafe toys that pose choking hazards for children
- Appliances with faulty wiring that can burst into flames, causing fires or burn injuries
- Dangerous drugs with life-threatening side effects
- Defective machinery that causes catastrophic injuries to workers on construction sites
- Exploding lithium batteries that cause severe burns
- Toxic weed killer that causes users to develop lymphoma
- Defective airbags that cause serious injuries when they deploy, including eye injuries; head and brain injuries; internal organ damage; sprained or fractured bones in the fingers, hands, and wrists; burns to the chest, arms, and hands; and lacerations, contusions, and abrasions.
In a product liability claim, any party in the chain of manufacture may be liable for injuries caused by a faulty product. Potentially liable parties may include parts manufacturers, product manufacturers, assemblers, installers, wholesalers, distributors, and retailers. You may be able to recover damages for past and future medical expenses, lost income, loss of future earning potential, pain and suffering, emotional distress, and other losses.
In addition to compensatory damages, which are designed to compensate you for the losses you have suffered, punitive damages may be awarded in certain cases. Also known as exemplary damages, punitive damages are designed to punish the defendant for wrongdoing and to deter similar actions in the future. In Arizona, punitive damages are only awarded in product liability claims when the actions of the defendant were intentional or grossly negligent.
If you or your loved one has been injured by a defective product, your best chance of recovering full and fair compensation is to have an experienced Scottsdale personal injury attorney handling your claim. The Husband & Wife Law Team has been representing Arizona residents in personal injuries matters for more than 20 years, with a long, successful track record both in and out of the courtroom. Mark Breyer is a certified specialist in injury and wrongful death law, an honor only 2% of Arizona lawyers can claim.
Call us at (480) 944-9755 to schedule a free consultation. We work on a contingency fee basis, meaning you pay us no fees until we win a recovery for you.
Get Help Now
During a free consultation, we will look at the important aspects of your case, answer your questions, and explain your legal rights and options clearly. All submissions are confidentially reviewed by Mark Breyer.
Confidentially reviewed by Attorney Mark Breyer
By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Husband and Wife Law Team. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.