Tempe Bus Accident Attorneys
Many recent fatal bus accidents have occurred in the Phoenix area. For example, a June 2021 crash involved a Valley Metro bus that left three people dead and six people injured. In May 2021, two cars crashed with a Valley Metro bus, critically injuring four people. Another recent incident resulted in the death of a motorcyclist when he collided with a Valley Metro bus.
Fatal bus accidents throughout Arizona can impact people from the Phoenix area. These include occasional tour bus accidents involving vehicles heading to the Grand Canyon, many of which have been fatal.
Despite the public trust put in bus drivers to be some of the safest and most defensive drivers around Arizona, bus drivers and the companies they work for can still make mistakes which may result in an accident on the road. Commonly, this is a result of one of the following factors:
Bus drivers work at all times of the day and despite public opinion, the fact that they are sitting down for the majority of the day can cause severe fatigue. On top of this, bus drivers often work long shifts which run until late at night or early in the morning. If these demands for long shifts are to blame for bus driver fatigue, the bus company may be held liable for playing a part in the accident.
Driving the same route everyday can get tiresome and boring for bus drivers. This may lead to a distracted driver who loses focus on the road.
Lack of Bus Maintenance
Bus companies must ensure that their fleet of vehicles are regularly maintained, as they are responsible for the safety of every passenger and driver on board. Some bus companies have been known to falsify maintenance logs, leading to improper upkeep that can result in an accident.
Unfortunately, injuries sustained in bus accidents are often more serious than those sustained in a passenger vehicle. Common injuries include:
- Broken bones
- Internal injuries
- Traumatic brain injuries
In Arizona, the Supreme Court held that common carriers must exercise reasonable care to protect passengers. Even though the legal standard for common carriers is lower in Arizona than it is in other states, the carriers will still be liable when they are negligent.
Here are some possible defendants in your bus accident case:
- The mass transit or commuter bus company
- The interstate bus carrier
- The school district that operates the bus
- Any subcontractor that handles transportation for a school district
- The company that was responsible for manufacturing the bus, if the accident happened as a result of a bus defect
Many of these parties will have legal teams ready to defend against a claim, so you’ll need a strong legal advocate for your case.
Being involved in an accident with a bus can leave you with far more than medical expenses. You may be unable to work or need long-term care, such as physical therapy or rehabilitation. The costs can be financially devastating.
When you hire an Tempe injury lawyer with our firm, we work tirelessly to ensure that those who were negligent are held liable for their actions. We work to determine how much your claim may be worth, then fight to seek the full compensation you deserve. The most common types of compensation you may receive are:
- Medical bills: Monetary value to cover any treatment–present or future–that you require as a result of the injury. This also includes transportation to the hospital, such as an EMT vehicle or ambulance.
- Future rehabilitation: This is common with injuries where recovery and treatment may span some time following the accident.
- Pain and suffering: You may be compensated for the pain resulting from your injuries.
- Lost wages: You can be paid out for any wages lost as a result of your inability to work due to the injury. This also includes future lost income if you are unable to work to the same degree as you previously were.
- Loss of quality of life: You can also be compensated for any permanent damages that reduce the quality of your life moving forward.
If you get into a bus accident, it is crucial that you work with an attorney to guide you through the legal process and ensure you receive the maximum compensation you are entitled to. When you hire an experienced auto accident attorney, they will be able to assist you in getting the medical care you need, gathering evidence, finding witnesses, and negotiating on your behalf. This means you can focus on healing and not have to worry about your medical bills or other issues.
The Husband & Wife Law Team provides sound legal counsel for residents of Tempe, Arizona. If you’ve been in a bus accident, give us a call today at (480) 753-4534.
Get Help Now
During a free consultation, we will look at the important aspects of your case, answer your questions, and explain your legal rights and options clearly. All submissions are confidentially reviewed by Mark Breyer.
Confidentially reviewed by Attorney Mark Breyer
By providing your phone number, you agree to receive text messages from Husband and Wife Law Team. Message and data rates may apply. Message frequency varies.