Phoenix Tow Truck Accident Attorneys
Most of the time, you only see tow trucks after a vehicle breaks down, or a vehicle is totaled in a crash and unable to drive. In these cases, tow trucks are there to help. However, there are times when a tow truck causes the accident.
If you or a family member was struck or injured by a tow truck, call our Phoenix car accident lawyers right away. The Husband and Wife Law Team has experience handling all types of personal injury claims, and we’ll go to work to get you back on your feet. Call (602) 267-1280 for a free consultation.
Tow trucks are extremely heavy and large in size. In addition, tow trucks have hooks, chains, pulleys, and flatbeds. These two elements can make the impact greater when tow trucks crash into other vehicles on the road.
- Sideswipes often occur when a tow truck driver cannot see a vehicle in his blind spot and merges into traffic. Tow trucks are long, and even smaller ones may be extended when they are towing another vehicle. This makes blind spots larger and visibility poorer for the truck driver.
- Rollovers are a danger in tow truck accidents. Tow trucks have a high center of gravity, particularly flatbeds that are carrying another vehicle. That vehicle can add to the instability of the overall truck, making it more likely to rollover.
- Rear-end collisions are also common tow truck accidents. Being heavy, tow trucks take longer to stop than smaller vehicles. When the truck driver does not brake in time, the truck can crash into the rear of another vehicle.
One of the biggest causes of tow truck accidents is when the driver fails to yield to other vehicles. Tow trucks are often on the side of the road. When they attempt to move back into the flow of traffic, they must do so carefully. If they fail to check their blind spots, or misjudge the distance between themselves and other vehicles, it could result in an accident.
Like all truck drivers, those who operate tow trucks can be fatigued. Tow truck services are often available 24 hours a day, seven days a week. When the companies are busy, the drivers could be exhausted, affecting their judgment, reflexes, and coordination.
While fatigue and failing to yield to other vehicles are the main causes of tow truck accidents, there are others as well. They include:
- Driving under the influence
- Failing to reverse properly
- Incorrect turns
- Inexperienced drivers
- Improperly loaded and secured cargo
- Defective equipment
Tow trucks have different considerations than other vehicles, and their drivers have a responsibility to know how to deal with these considerations and ensure they operate the truck in as safe a manner as possible. When they do not, they may be held responsible.
A Phoenix tow truck accident lawyer can help you after a collision. Breyer Law Offices, P.C., can investigate the crash to determine if the driver, the company, or the manufacturer was at fault for the accident. After determining fault, we will hold the responsible parties liable for compensation that can help with your medical bills, lost income, and more.
If you have been injured in an accident, contact The Husband and Wife Law Team at (602) 267-1280. We know how to investigate these accidents and get you the help you need. There is no time to waste after an accident, so call us today.